Director of Economic Opportunities and Climate Change
Location: Base location is flexible across Scottish Enterprise’s Scottish Offices. Role is currently remote due to Covid-19.
Due to the current global pandemic all of our people are currently working remotely. We will continue to follow government guidance to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our employees, partners and customers. The selection process will also be undertaken virtually.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join Scotland’s national economic development agency in a key leadership role to make a significant impact on Scotland’s economic recovery and growth.
This high-profile role will lead on the strategic development and delivery of initiatives and programmes supporting the key national economic opportunities which we have identified as having the potential to make biggest difference to Scotland’s future. These are Low Carbon Transition, High Value Manufacturing, Health and Wellbeing, and the Digital Economy and Innovation Systems.
As the successful candidate you will be responsible for raising the profile of, and gaining advocacy for, the economic opportunities and the 7 National Programmes we have developed to focus our activity. You will do this across Scottish Enterprise and with public sector partners including senior officials and Ministers in Scottish Government, as well as with CEO’s and senior management teams in industry. You will lead on building and developing strategic relationships, seeking opportunities to collaborate to deliver activities aligned to our national priorities, as well as to the ambitions of our partners in government, industry, and other public agencies.
In the year that Glasgow hosts the UN Climate Change Conference, COP26, tackling climate change has never been more important. One of the key priorities of our 2021/22 Business Plan is to support Scotland as we transition to a net zero economy. You will guide all our climate change work, including our support to businesses and industries, as well as embedding our approaches to climate change within Scottish Enterprise to help us reach our net zero emissions target by 2040.
Scottish Enterprise is Scotland’s national economic development agency, committed to growing the Scottish economy for the benefit of all. We help Scottish businesses to grow nationally and internationally, to become more efficient and innovative, and to access the funds they need to develop. We also attract overseas companies to invest in Scotland.
About the role
You will manage a multi-disciplinary team of 60 -70 economic development professionals and specialists. You will sit on our Senior Leadership Team, directly reporting into our Executive Leadership Team. As a corporate leader, as well as your functional role, you will contribute to Scottish Enterprise’s transformational agenda and overall running of the organisation.
Direct reports are the Head of Low Carbon Transition, Head of High Value Manufacturing, Head of Digital Economy and Innovation Systems and Head of Health and Wellbeing.
The key dimensions of the role are:
- Strategic Development Leadership: Ensuring delivery of ambitious, measurable, prioritised strategies and programmes for domestic economic growth in named opportunities. Ensuring the strategies and programmes take account of foresighting, insights, national and regional strengths and challenges and our desire to close the gap across regions. In addition, this role will work across the organisation to embed net zero approaches.
- Collaborative Stakeholder Engagement and Leadership: Building, maintaining and developing strong industry, academic and public partner engagement through strategic collaboration around programmes for the named opportunities. Currently these are Low Carbon Transition, High Value Manufacturing, Health and Wellbeing and Enabling Technologies as well as Climate Change. In addition, articulate SE’s approach to net zero, be a strategic and collaborative advocate both externally and internally. This will involve speaking on SE’s behalf at external forums about the importance of net zero to economic development and Scotland’s future.
- Strategic Delivery, Planning and Co-ordination: Developing clear and specific delivery priorities and plans; working with senior colleagues, lead a co-ordinated approach to delivery of the economic opportunities and programmes across the organisation ensuring each division will own delivery of their agreed actions. The plans will need to be flexible and time bound with clear milestones to ensure a more dynamic approach to economic opportunity development and delivery.
The successful candidate will be:
- An excellent strategic thinker. We’re looking for someone who can understand and interpret foresights to frame opportunities and manage typically complex and multi-partner activities – these must be sustained for a number of years through mutual and collaborative actions and outcomes.
- A confident communicator who can influence, collaborate and motivate partners at the most senior level across a wide range of sectors. We require someone who can set out the vision and ambition for some of our most high-level programmes and negotiate to resolve conflicting stakeholder priorities through collaboration.
- A inspiring and effective leader across several different areas of activity and collaborate with other leaders in helping to set the direction for SE as a whole.
- A Director who can provide credible input to several different areas of activity. We would hope to see extensive understanding of the public sector and of at least one of the core areas of this role – we would particularly appreciate experience related to our green/net zero goals.
We place value on work/life balance in our employment package:
We offer a range of benefits, financial and non-financial, designed to reflect our culture and recognise, reward and develop you through your career. We recognise you have different needs and preferences and our strategy encourages a personal approach, recognising working life, wellbeing, planning for the future and lifestyle. Our strategy has also been recognised through external awards and accreditations including Investors in People, Stonewall Scotland and Best Companies. We’ve also been awarded two Princess Royal Excellence Awards for our activity promoting a resonant culture across the organisation and for our youth development and engagement programmes.
We are currently developing our working practices for when offices re-open. We aim to create a flexible work environment where work is an activity, not a set place or defined hours. With this in mind, we expect that you will have the option to continue to work remotely within the UK or at your base location. You will remain available for face-to-face visits and meetings at SE offices or other locations as appropriate.
How to apply
If you interested applying for this opportunity, in the first instance please contact (email@example.com) to discuss in more detail.
Applications will be assessed as follows:
- Shortlisting of formal applications
- Interview of shortlisted candidates with Interim Managing Director and other members of senior management team
- Additional stages as appropriate and as required – including second panel interview and psychometric testing
Your application must be submitted via the Scottish Enterprise recruitment site by 25th July 2021.
If you have any difficulties accessing the Scottish Enterprise site, please email AskHR@scotent.co.uk .