Scottish Enterprise Graduate Development Programme
We are offering an exciting opportunity for nine talented graduates to develop their skills and knowledge within our Digital, International, Programme Management and Economic Opportunties Teams.
Scottish Enterprise is Scotland’s national economic development agency. But what does that really mean? Well, we don’t operate like any of your ‘usual’ businesses…
- We’re not for profit. We don’t just talk about making a difference to Scotland’s economy – we do it. We deal with real people and their problems, and you can make a difference.
- We’re all about creating. Not just wealth – but better jobs and stronger communities, too.
- We’re constantly growing. Whether it’s Scotland’s international reputation or the success of our local businesses, we’re always aiming to do more for our country.
- Sustainability and diversity are at the forefront of our every move.
The roles we are recruiting for are:
Working in the Service Design team you’ll play a key role in understanding what our customer needs are, designing services that meet those needs, and working with other teams to ensure they’re delivered as intended. By offering our customers what they need, and not what we as an organisation think they want, we can greatly increase the uptake of the support we offer and the graduate role will be central to this
This graduate role is critical to the smooth operations of our webinar and podcasts channel which provides businesses with access to information, support, advice, and expertise on a whole range of issues facing the Scottish economy.
The role sits within Global Investment in a diverse team of specialists developing inward investment propositions, to help promote Scotland internationally as an attractive location for investment. The successful candidate will use their creativity, writing skills and strategic mind to help us to deliver a new suite of propositions, which speak directly to global investors about the benefits Scotland offers their business
The role sits within our Global Trade team, working alongside colleagues across the Trade Services Group and wider Global Trade sector teams. The graduate will use their creativity, writing skills and strategic mind to help us deliver country/market guides for our external business audience. You will provide support to senior sector colleagues on the development of sector trade proposition material to support trade promotion for Scotland. As the role develops, there will be a requirement to support the development of a digital store for businesses to self-serve the proposition and guide materials.
The role will sit within a cross-organisation team which works with industry leaders to develop and deliver a coordinated programme of activity to build Scotland’s healthcare manufacturing capabilities (healthcare = biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, diagnostics). This role is challenging and varied and may vary from supporting companies developing new healthcare technologies to start manufacturing in Scotland through to working with partners to invest in new buildings for manufacturing or supporting our international colleagues in SDI to persuade companies that Scotland is the ideal place for their manufacturing needs.
This role will sit within the digital transformation team and will be challenging and varied. The graduate will use their research skills to undertake desk-based research on technologies, market, digital markets, and trends which will support and strengthen the knowledge around digital transformation. They will be part of dynamic team delivering a highly valued digital support programme to Scottish businesses.
This role sits within the Digital Transformation team and will be challenging and varied. The graduate will use their communications and marketing skills to spotlight the benefits of the digital transformation. They will gain substantial knowledge of business, of numerous digital technologies and be part of a dynamic team delivering a highly valued digital support programme to Scottish businesses whilst refining their communication and marketing skills.
The graduate will join a team of project and programme managers within Major Programme Management tasked with developing and delivering high impact, major projects and programmes in areas such as low carbon, digital economy, manufacturing, and health. As part of a project or programme team you will help ensure pace and quality of delivery by contributing to the execution of project tasks, project control documents and you will be in a position to contribute knowledge and ideas that could help shape the design and delivery of the activity.
The role will involve working with an exciting and varied portfolio of early stage, high growth companies in which Scottish Enterprise holds an equity stake, with a goal of maximising the economic impact and commercial value.
The graduate will have the opportunity to work with internal colleagues and external partners to support these companies in realising their growth potential, in areas including but not limited to raising and assessment of follow-on investment, financial analysis around key events like exits which generate income for Scottish Enterprise and supporting key team projects e.g. the Global Capital Investment Plan which aims to attract international investors to Scotland.
Working at Scottish Enterprise
You’re probably thinking, ‘Why should I want to work for Scottish Enterprise?’ Well, aside from the passion-fuelling points outlined above, SE offers:
- Full range flexibility. Work when you want, where you want. From the comfort of your home office to our buzzing workplaces located across the country, or both!
- Free mental health support. We offer free access to trained mental health support staff and first aiders and a free confidential counselling and information service.
- A progressive salary. Alongside the opportunity to work on some of Scotland’s most exciting projects in partnership with colleagues across the public sector, we ensure all our employees get equal pay – and total transparency.
- Equal opportunities. We’re proud to celebrate difference and actively encourage applicants from all backgrounds. We will happily provide any adjustments required to ensure your smooth transition into our workplace, just let us know!
Our values are what make us Scottish Enterprise. They are the heartbeat of everything we do – and we’d hate to find out what happens without a heartbeat!
We like to keep it simple when it comes to our values:
- Be brave
- Be fair
- Be our best
- Be the difference
Rewards and Benefits
Yup, there’s more! We love rewarding our staff – let us count the ways…
- 43 days paid holiday each year (including public holidays) – but if that’s not enough…
- Our Holiday Buy Scheme allows you to apply to buy up to 6 weeks additional annual leave.
- Look after yourself, for less! Our Healthcare Cash Plan offers benefits including money back towards everyday healthcare expenses like optical care, dental care and physiotherapy.
- Enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Pay and Leave ensures you get 26 weeks of full pay when on leave / matched with a child. You’ll then receive statutory maternity/ adoption pay once this period has come to an end.
- Enhanced Shared Parental Leave and pay you guessed it, up to 26 weeks of full pay or shared parental leave plus shortly our paternity leave will allow for fours weeks paid leave for you to be with our partner and new baby.
- Paid Volunteering Time funds you for up to 21 hours to support your favourite charity or join in with community activities.
About the Opportunity
You’ve heard all the good (and no bad, hopefully!), so now it’s time to hear about the roles itself.
The successful candidates will have the opportunity to experience a wide variety of tasks and challenges within a range of SE teams. You could be:
- Managing and delivering small scale project work, contributing to larger-scale projects as part of a team.
- Organising and supporting meetings and events, from concept through to completion.
- Creating and curating content, information, guidance and materials to support the delivery of our services.
- Undertaking key research, analyse crucial data, generate hard-hitting reports, and monitor trends and performances.
- Developing plans to outline team strategies, identifying improvements, measuring progress and success.
- Networking with both internal and external customers and colleagues, building relationships for the promotion of services.
- Providing technical input and advice from newly learned skills.
- Developing in-depth knowledge of the organisation and its operations through continued support, and the corporate world within the public sector.
Who Are We Looking For?
We think that’s enough about us – but we’d like to get to know you. Ideally, you as a graduate:
- Share Scottish Enterprise’s values and ambitions for Scotland.
- Are open to new ideas and trying different ways of working.
- Believe in working as a team to reach full potential.
- Celebrate success but are ready to learn when things don’t go so well.
- Treat everyone fairly, with respect and understanding.
The Finer Details
Now it’s all down to the nitty-gritty. Here’s how the recruitment process will work:
- Closing date for applicants: 30th September
- 1st stage interviews will be held during week commencing 18th October
- 2nd stage interviews will be held from the 25th October
- Anticipated start date from November
It should be noted, these dates may be subject to change
Please note: All interviews will be conducted remotely. All interviewees will require access to the internet and a digital device. Please ensure your Wi-Fi/Broadband capacity is sufficient for both audio and video use. Dates may be subject to change.